GADASC

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Notifying Give A Dog A Second Chance

Wednesday January 8th

With Molson and Guinness on the mend, I start to tie up loose ends...or so I think. I call up Melita, but her nobody answers. I leave a message, simply asking her to return my call. I wait for over an hour, and jump in the shower. By the time I return, there is a message from Melita on the phone. "Hi it's Melita from GADASC, you had called in regards to the puppies. I hope everything is okay and hopefully I can help whatever it is." This is without mentioning a word about the puppies being sick.

I call her back and tell her I believe the puppies got parvovirus at her home. She says there is no way since she separates all of her litters of puppies from one another. I remind her how there are cats roaming around the house, wandering into each room. She says they only followed us when we went in the room to see the puppies. There is no way they could have gotten it here, it must have been from wherever they came from beforehand. What she doesn't account for is that all it would take is this one time for a cat to step into an infected dogs feces and spread the disease to others. She repeatedly apologizes and sympathizes with my situation, but makes no offer to help cover any of the associated costs or help in any way.

I am really worried about the other dogs that were in the house at the same time. They could very well contract the virus, or maybe they were even the origin of it. This is relayed to Melita, but she assures me that the three black labs are still there and completely healthy. She also tells me that she has already followed up with the owner of Guinness and Molson's brother and that he is fine too. Funny, I think to myself. She never once followed up with me over the past 10 days.

The next step is calling the Brimley-Lawrence vet to ask them for more formal records of the vaccinations my puppies received. The girl at the desk looks up the file, but returns with no results. She tells me that Melita should have a log of this at home. I write Melita to ask her for the proper logs, saying the vet didn't have them. This is when she tells me that she never said she took them to the vet. Her driver's arm was broken at the time!

Elena and I decide to do more research on her organization to see if there have been any other issues with illness etc. We had no idea what a mammoth can of worms this would open up!

3 comments:

  1. hello,
    my name is kathleen gosse i live in bowmanville ontario. i just recently left 6 cats with a lady named melita farrugia, owner of give a dog a second chance "rescue", 3 females to be adopted and 3 males to be boarded for me for a little while. the 3 males were kept at her friends house. elaine stuart. they were in her care for just under 2 months and we went to pay her for "taking care" of our cats, after trying for weeks to get ahold of them and go see the cats. we went in for her to tell us 1 of our males was dead. she also fosters dogs for melita, big dogs.. pretty intimidating dogs that she told us she let our cats wander the house with. then she told us that 2 of our females that melita told us were adopted were also dead. she has 3 different stories to how our male died but im convinced a dog got ahold of him or they did something. the females got sick,so did all of her cats and ours were the only 2 that died.. not even the litter of kittens did. she also blamed our cats for them all getting sick, but ours were extreamly healthy going in, they got their shots and fixed as soon as she got them. so i think in their case she stopped feeding them and left them to die. we managed to get our 1 remaining female out of there and she is now at the vet isolated on iv's in pretty bad condition, she was extreamly dehydrated. i found your facebook group and figured you could help me.besides the warrant in NY, is there any information you can give me on her that will help with my case? anything i can turn into the OSPCA? she has a lot of animals in her care in her apartment and i would like to make something happen with her before she disapears again.

    my email is kgosse89@hotmail.com any help is good help please and thank you. i wasnt able to save all my cats but i believe i can save many others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dropped my dog, that I ended up being very allergic to, in her care. How do I get this dog back? I signed my dog over to her and now I'm seeing things like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would contact her and insist on getting it back ASAP!
    If not, I would call OSPCA/Animal Control/Police
    ASAP!

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete