GADASC

Sunday, February 15, 2009

"Adoption Day"


My two sisters, husband and I embarked on our journey to Oshawa in order to search for a puppy for adoption. The plan was to go to the Oshawa SPCA prior to the scheduled meeting at the home rescue, but we ran out of time. As we approached the home on Athol St., we all noticed the windows were boarded up on the main floor. My sisters wanted to leave immediately, but I said that would should keep our appointment to be fair. Anyways, I said, we are going to go to the SPCA right after so we will just scope things out first. What was located right across the street from her home gave me false reassurance that everything was legitimate: the Oshawa MPP office.
A cat stopped us in our trek up to the front door. There were two small crates sitting alongside, with blankets inside. Knocking on the door, astounding barking by several dogs began from a room on the left in the main hallway. The rescue owner greeted us and immediately lead us upstairs.

The first room we encountered contained two cats, along with cat food, toys and a scratching post. There were a few cats roaming in the hallway and climbing on top of a table in the centre of it. Three adorable black labs ran up to a gate blocking the doorway of the second room on the upper floor. Hmm....I thought to myself. There were only two black labs posted on the website, but never any mention that there were three all from the same litter...... Looking further into this room was an eye sore. There was newspaper everwhere and a very dirty couch that I thought I would never touch with a ten foot pole! I pet the labs for a couple of minutes, until I was beckoned to come over to the third room.

This was where the two lab/husky/shepp/collie mixes were that she had emailed me about the night before. Again, there was newspaper eveywhere. Dirty floors, dirty walls, dirty kennels. The dogs were cowering in the corner of the room underneath a tv. A couple of the cats proceeded to explore the room in our footsteps. The crazily barking dogs continued in the room below us. This is when I really felt distressed. The filth(you can see how dirty her place is in the above photo), noise and scared little faces was enough to tug at my heart. When the owner stepped out of the room to answer her phone, I turned to everyone and said I have to get them both out of here. There was no argument from my husband, he agreed right away. My sister said she would give me some money just to get them the hell out of there. When Melita returned I told her I wanted to take both puppies, but I said I could not pay the $700 she would require. I asked her how much I could pay her for both. She indicated that $500 would do. Due to the fact that I was originally only going to get one dog, I wasn't carrying enough money on me. Everyone took out whatever money they had and we came up with the $500.

All of us combined had never adopted a dog, so we really didn't know what the norm was in this situation. I thought $500 was a lot of money, especially since she had indicated she only rescued them the night previous. Then I quickly wiped this from my mind, since I reasoned that she could put this money to good use for other animals. I kept on telling myself that this woman really cared about the animals, and she continually mentioned how she did this for the love of animals. My sisters were not so easily convinced....
There was a great deal of talk....we believe to try to deflect any questions towards her. She indicated that all of her animals are vet checked. She told us that one of the loud dogs downstairs included a German Sheppard dog she had rescued that had behavioural problems. She stated she was trying to train him and see if she could place him in some type of law enforcement scenerio afterwards. Lifting up her arm, she showed us some bite marks she said resulted from working with this particular dog. It was then indicated that she would give the two pups an injection. She showed us a dewormer bottle, and so we were under the impression that this was what she was administering. We were told that their booster shot had been administered the night before.

We signed a contract, and a Lawrence-Brimley vet card was stapled to the top of the contract. She said that she deals with this clinic and highly recommends them. This inferred to us that this was the clinic that our dogs had been assessed at. We were given a blank piece of white paper with a distemper booster and leptospirosis vial label applied, with the date of the given vaccinations. I have now discovered that a leptospirosis vaccine is not usually given until 16 weeks of age!! Not all dogs even receive this to begin with!

Walking down the street with the nervous pups, we discussed how we would follow up with someone at the SPCA about the conditions of the home.
We started to worry about what kind of practices had just taken place


8 comments:

  1. That dog in the picture looks HORRIFIED and that room looks DISGUSTING

    ReplyDelete
  2. just a little note.....if she rescued them the night before... Parvo did not come from her home/rescue. there is a 2week period that they carry the virus befoe any signs.
    I'm surprised that lady Milita doesnt sue this Nat lady this is pure slander and also against the law..Milita should sue people instead of rescueing animals,,,,she would make alot more cash !

    ReplyDelete
  3. All animals should be checked by a vet before she adopted out...but I guess someone like Melita who adopts animals on a "conveyor belt" to get in profit as soon as possible wouldn't care about this!

    FACTS are not slander...please look up the definition of slander : it is false words spoken. So what you wrote is irrelevent anyway.

    Melita has more to lose, she would be dumb to come after Natalie in any way! Melita is using someone else's charity, has a warrant out for her arrest in the US (on animal cruelty charges), there is a TEAM of first account stories by people negatively affected by Melita's sick ways, she has not issued valid reciepts, where does she get all these puppies from, and she has just been taken off of petfinder.com......among other things.

    If she were smart she would find a new way of making money before the house of cards crumbles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could never prove they got the parvo from her place, but I can tell you dogs afterwards were at risk. Melita assuered me that she would clean and close down the room for 6 months. Well, guess what less than a month later she was back to her sick ways, reopening the room. Parvo can stay on surfaces for up to 6 months.

    I don't know if the story about just getting them the night before is even true. She could have bred them in her shady basement for all I know.
    And yes, it would have been her responsibility to have them looked over by a vet. However, she wants to pocket as much money as she can!

    I would love for her to sue me, since I have a lot of documents prepared for a counter sue. Hell, I may even reconsider trying to sue her!

    Melita or her cronies seem to have one main word in their limited vocabularies: "slander". This is to try to threaten people into shutting about about her revolting ways. She really needs to get a webster dictionary! Everything I say on this blog is 100% true, and it is called freedom of speech.

    ReplyDelete
  5. UMMM IVE BEEN READING THIS BLOG AND I FIND IT VERY SAD THAT SOMEONE WILL DO THIS FOR THERE OWN GAIN AND NOT GAVE A CRAP ABOUT THE PETS AT ALL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bill aka transit .. Is doint amazing he is such a good dog he had his first fetching class today and the trainer was amazed at how focused and behaved he was he also excelled at agility and loved it .. He is a very fast learner and is focused with exercise .. We love him he needs work but he's not that bad .. Obedience starts tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  7. eternalfaith@hotmail.ca

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you see this the woman who adopted 2 dogs on feb 15th..I also have a dog from there and she is very sick.i am looking for her siblings to donate blood.please contact me at amyguagliano@gmail.com with any information

    ReplyDelete