GADASC

Monday, January 26, 2009

Feedback

Subject: give a dog a second chance
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 14:34:26 -0400

Hi Natalie,

I am writing to say thank you to bringing my attention to the many issues to do with Give a Dog a Second Chance. Having lost our second dog to cancer last May, we looked to Petfinder to find a rescue puppy. We finally saw the perfect puppies (beagle lab mixes like ours were) from this rescue group in Oshawa. I emailed her our own application right away and she was quick to respond to me sending me her application which I immediately filled out. I emailed her a couple days later to follow up and she said it looked good but she just needed to check my references. I let a week go by and know she didn’t check my references so I emailed her again and she said yes, we are approved. Great! My husband and I were very excited.

To make a long story short, I just had an uneasy feeling about the tone of her emails (I only now know it was a “her” – she never put her name in the emails, nor used proper sentences for that matter). When I questioned her about if the pups were still with their mother, and if not, could they all stay together for a bit longer she sent me quite a curt email back kind of saying do you want one or not. I decided maybe she was just busy and didn’t speak English very well so I set it up to pick up the puppy today at 2:00. However, last night I got fed up with her weird communication and decided to search her on the internet. Needless to say, we were shocked and upset. At first I hoped maybe it was just one story, but NOPE! There are endless horror stories. I went to work this morning bawling my eyes out and have now come home early to email her to tell her we would not be picking up the dog today as I have read numerous complaints about her. I just this second got an email from her responding to the one I sent a few minutes ago and it’s snarky, just as I suspected. I will cut and paste it below. I am so sickened and sad about the puppy I have been dreaming about and planning on bringing home today. I can’t even describe it. I am sorry about what you have gone through and I hope everything will be okay with your puppies.

Mainly I just wanted to say thank you. Even though I’m so worried about those little puppies I fell in love with, I know I’ve done the right thing.

L.F


11 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this info. As soon as you key in the name of that rescue organization you can't miss the big warning telling us to avoid that particular rescue group. Otherwise, how is anyone to know that they're any different from the others until you've made the long drive over to discover the situation yourself. You saved me a lot of time and the shock I would have suffered if I had gone there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just have to pipe up about comments about GADASC's woman's english/grammar skills.

    I recognize her style of communication as being consistent with a learning disability. It's not that she's ignorant or a bad person because she can't communicate well in written form.

    Her actions with regards to how she runs her operation, however, are a different matter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Kate, she does not have a learning disability....it is lack of completing her education. Do not feel sorry for this scam artist. I know of her all to well and have for sometime. I found her when I was looking for a second dog. I went to her place and she brought the dog out to the front of the house. This house was on Bruce Street in Oshawa. Horrible and filthy outside. She would not let any one inside and she had other people there holding their new pup, ofcourse outside again. The dog we met was very aggressive and showed his teeth to my son right away. Melita explained he had been returned twice because the people who took him didn't know how to handle an aggressive dog. The next day I go to Oshawa Animal Services to look at their dogs. Lo and behold there is the same dog I had seen the day before. He was very unique looking. He has been found as a stray. Stray? No, he was let go by Melita as she could not find an adopter for him. In fact he was found one street over from her home. I spoke to them at Animal Services about her and they were all to knowledgable about her.
    When she arrived in Petsmart I spoke to the Assistant Manager and told him to do his homework on this woman. It took them a long time before they finally stopped her from coming there. She had a note on a cage there that she was going to have one of the dogs 'put'down becuase it has such separation anxiety no one would take it. A real rescue does NOT put down dogs. I will only say that dog was 'rescued' from her rescue and has a loving home.

    She was evicted from Bruce Street and it was such a mess it made the front page of the Newsadvertiser. She then went to Brooklin and wore out her welcome there. She doesn't pay her rent, she is suppose to be on disability and was illegally claiming she was a charitable foundation until she caught (she took if over from someone else). Unfortunately the SPCA will repsond but they usually book a time to see her and they all she has to do is comply with them and they go away. It's pathetic our laws for animals.

    I informed a kind woman who thought she was helping out dogs by fostering for her. When she found out about her and stopped she was threatened by this nut bar.

    PAWS of Whitby were handing her dogs whenever she wanted them. They are pathetic as well. The supervisors there have been repeatedly been told about her activities but they keep giving her animals. They are disgusting too.

    Everyone needs to keep this out there to the public. Her day will come. SHe is NOT a registered Kennel so is NOT allowed to have more than the allowed number of dogs in that municipality. If you see more, complain, complain and complain, spread the word. Kudos to real dog lovers who are not tolerating her anymore.

    Please, this woman is a dog broker, an animal abuser and a scam. Stay far away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for posting this information. We have been searching relentlessly for a German Shepherd cross for a long time now and have only come across places that were filthy and terrible when I went to visit (I refused to buy a puppy from a puppy mill or "greeder"). Tonight at work I phoned my husband and told him I'd finally found the perfect puppy through petfinder and was so excited that I would have the opportunity to rescue a puppy and give him the loving home he deserves. When I decided to research the rescue organization all of your postings came up. I was heartbroken...I cannot support someone like this.....yet at the same time I want to rescue those beautiful babies from her (and not pay her a dime!).....so hard....I will not be supporting her organization today because of you....thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. you people all need better life's...Grow up....

    ReplyDelete
  6. She has recently been taken off of PETFINDER.COM

    I am assuming they finally did their research and confirmed the arrest warrant out on animal cruelty charges for Melita.......

    She now has her own website promoting her "adoption",,and is still charging $300 + to adopt out a puppy...no, not profiting at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is right (NO profit )get that facts and your own life loser...and leave my dogs alone adoption's are great, well many dogs finding homes get over it all ready and care for your own two dogs...Too much time on your hands holy ...all rescue charge for there dogs .how stupid are you people read read read,,,I'm cheap compared to most and no complaint just you..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melita,

      Are you the same lady who goes by the name of "Toni" in her emails?

      Delete
  8. Melita, why do you have such a high number of litters of puppies for adoption? This is rare in rescue.
    And you charge upwards of $300 per dog while on disability. Sounds like taking advantage of the system if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. THIS LADY IS STILL "ADPOTING" OUT DOGS IN THE NORTHUMBERLAND AREA!!! SHE IS A SCAM ARTIST!!!!!
    Her yard is completely gross and disgusting... it smells like urine and shit... the dogs bark all the time, and when this happens she yells at them or whatever it takes to get them to stop... its horrible..
    PEOPLE DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!!! i have already stopped one person from giving her money, hopefully i can stop more!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is the address of her "business"?

      Delete